THIS IS THE BLOG/DIARY FOR MIGHTY GIRL ART™! OUR NEW WEBSITE IS LOCATED HERE!

* The purpose of our documentation is to provide a window into the creative process and the interactions within our circle. It keeps the memory of our work together alive and offers a touchstone to revisit later for further reflection by the facilitators, the parents and the children.



* OUR NEW WEBSITE *
- SUMMER DIARY - WINTRY DIARY - TOUR DIARY - ANNOUNCEMENTS


( To register for our workshops, please visit MightyGirlArt.com, thank you! )



Women are the primary resource of the planet. They give birth, we come from them. They are mothers, they are visionaries, they are the future. If we can figure out how to make women feel safe and honor women, it would be parallel or equal to honoring life itself."

- Eve Ensler



Mighty Inspiring: You Are Not Alone


"Even when the dark comes crashing through, and when you need a friend to carry you, when you're broken on the ground you will be found." - Dear Evan Hansen


I want to tell you about a special project launched by one of my original Mighty Girls.  Her name is Chloe and you may remember her from camp many years ago, or from our e-course, or Maker Faire, or more recently when she came back as an alumni to intern for summer camp.

Chloe is 15 years old and a student at SLHS. She has created a support site for people living with anxiety and depression.  Its called Project Sky.  I decided to interview her and let her tell you about it in her own words.

Please check out her project and cheer her on.  While you're there, grab one of her self-designed shirts.  All of the proceeds go to support Mental Health America, the nation's leading community-based nonprofit dedicated to addressing the needs of those living with mental illness.


Wendy:  What inspired you to start Project Sky?

Chloe :  In March, I saw the show Dear Evan Hansen on broadway. The show was absolutely amazing and really put a light on Anxiety and other Mental Illnesses (like depression) and gave the whole message that you are not alone and that you will be found. After seeing it I was obsessed. I loved every message it gave us. And I almost didn’t go because of my own anxiety. Then I heard about the middle years project. They said we’d be spending a lot of time on this so, we better pick something we like. Immediately I knew it was going to be something DEH related. So I created Project Sky, inspired by the show and more specifically the Connor Project which was an organization made in the show to show everyone they matter and aren’t alone. I wanted to help people, Mental illness is so overlooked and it’s very easy for them to feel alone. I wanted to provide some light in their life. I see it as everyone goes through tunnels some are longer and shorter than others, but no matter what there is a light at the end of each tunnel. I want to help power everyone’s flashlight. 


Wendy:  That's so beautiful!  What is the target audience age range for blue sky?

Chloe:  Project Sky is for everyone. Everyone deserves to know they aren’t alone. Everyone deserves some light in their life! 

Wendy:  You mentioned that you also experience anxiety.  Can you share a personal experience and what you found most helpful in working thru that moment?

Chloe:  Well I have had Anxiety for a while and it has definitely gotten easier. Like my grandma says “time heals all wounds” things get easier through time. Also knowing I wasn’t alone, and that I had people around me who cared about me. I created Project Sky because I want to show people that things can get easier and they will and that they are not alone no matter what.

Wendy:  What is the something you can do to be a flashlight for someone who is feeling the anxiety tunnel?  What is something you shouldn’t do?

Chloe:  To help power a flashlight, let the other person know that you are there for them and offer help and a safe space. Letting them know they aren’t alone can mean the world to someone. Don’t make them seem like they don’t matter and that their situation is small and doesn’t need attention. Try to understand as much as possible but it can be very hard to put yourself in someone else’s shoes in a situation when you haven’t felt that was yourself.


Thank you, Chloe, for using your gifts to make a difference in our world!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. - Henry James