THIS IS THE BLOG/DIARY FOR MIGHTY GIRL ART™! OUR NEW WEBSITE IS LOCATED HERE!

* The purpose of our documentation is to provide a window into the creative process and the interactions within our circle. It keeps the memory of our work together alive and offers a touchstone to revisit later for further reflection by the facilitators, the parents and the children.



* OUR NEW WEBSITE *
- SUMMER DIARY - WINTRY DIARY - TOUR DIARY - ANNOUNCEMENTS


( To register for our workshops, please visit MightyGirlArt.com, thank you! )



Women are the primary resource of the planet. They give birth, we come from them. They are mothers, they are visionaries, they are the future. If we can figure out how to make women feel safe and honor women, it would be parallel or equal to honoring life itself."

- Eve Ensler



Week Two: Worthwhile Time


"Who can guess the luna's sadness who lives so
briefly?

Strange questions, yet I have spent worthwhile
time with them. And I suggest them to you also,
that your spirit grow in curiosity, that your life
be richer than it is, that you bow to the earth..."

- Mary Oliver

































I was first introduced to soft sculpture when I was a youngster in high school...my teacher was the talented artist, Susan Carter Carter.  I was lucky,  SO very lucky to have been under her wing. 

I thought it would be fun to present a soft sculpture project to the Mighty Girls.  Inspired by the amazing work of textile artist Mr. Finch, I began researching project ideas when I stumbled upon a moth brooch by Kimberly Allison in Green Crafts Magazine.

The moth as totem animal reminds us to use our intuition.  Moth teaches us to pay attention to what is being spoken and what isn't being said.  Moth is a symbol of transformation.






















When you wear your moth brooch, may you remember to make the most of your time on earth.





























The second project for the day was printmaking.  The girls designed and printed their own set of holiday cards in festive gold and silver inks.





































































It was a wintry cold day, but the fire was warm, the conversation lively, and the S'mores a sweet reward for our hard work.



Girls, next week we are making transfers to wood .  Please don't forget to bring your print with you - see instructions at the end of last week's blog entry.

See you soon!



Addendum:

Last night, after I finished cleaning up the studio, editing photos and creating this diary....I spent worthwhile time with this question...

Do you have glitter?

One of the differences, I find, between working with girls and working with women is that girls always ask for what they want.  Whereas women will use the materials given to them.

Why do we stop asking for what we want?

A worthwhile day with moth indeed.  

Everyone is my teacher. Some I seek. Some I subconsciously attract. Often I learn simply by observing others. Some may be completely unaware that I’m learning from them, yet I bow deeply in gratitude.”  - Eric Allen




No comments:

Post a Comment

Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. - Henry James